Sunday 21 November 2010

The day faith questioned fashion!

As I sat in church and the pastor talked about the unimportance of worldly goods it got me thinking.  Was I shallow, am I a bad person for having an unusually passionate interest in fashion, had I been putting clothing before family and friends?  I felt guilty and all of a sudden my brand new cardigan felt scratchy and sinful.  I tried to think of the most important things in my life, the days that really counted, I was worried that my head would be filled full of trips to Vivienne Westwood, Topshop and Urban Outfitters, however when I got down to it the memories that go down as the most important in my life. it appeared that I was not quite as cold hearted as I had first thought.  My head filled with images of my wedding day, the night I met my husband, the days my baby brothers were born, first days at new jobs (there's been a few!), my girls trip to Thailand, the night I met my best friend, my eighteenth birthday.  What quickly struck me was that my family and friends could never be replaced with a piece of fabric or a stiletto heel, although there is a few ex-boyfriends that I'd exchange, a New Look basic would do!  Seriously though it became apparent that fashion obviously played a bigger part than I ever could have imagined.......... it seems I can remember every outfit I have  ever worn, I am not talking wedding dress on wedding day  as I reckon most can recall this but literally every outfit!  My husband and I went on 6 dates the week met, can I remember where we went??..........no..........can I remember what I wore??......... of course!  Be it the baggy red and black jersey dress which was slightly too big for me I was wearing the night I met my husband, the barely there pink dress I wore at Buddha Bar on my 18th, the All Saints Beaujolais dress I wore when my brother Logan was born or the two seasons too early floral shirt I was wearing when my other brother Ben was born or the very very awful fitting PVC trousers I wore on my first non school uniform day at Upper School (not such a trendsetter back in the day).  So it seems that the path of worldly goods and relationships is more intertwined than one would think and  rightly so.  For me fashion is a hobby, my past time, I would imagine for a golfer, a diver, a flutist, some of their most memorable and important moments would be when they were at one with their hobbies.  I think with that in mind it is fair to rethink the lack of depth associated with shopping and that its importance as a past time should be considered as it creates not only memories but confidence.  So next time you feel guilty about shopping think again, there are no health risks associated with it, you will still make it to heaven, you are bound to feel better about yourself after it, just because you like to buy pretties it does not make you less of a person!  Slap on some red lipstick while your there and you'll feel more of a person than you have for ages!  Shopping is just some lighthearted fun, as long as your not spending cash you don't have!  So I guess I'll meet you at Oxford Circus tomorrow at 9! 

No comments:

Post a Comment