Monday 1 November 2010

Please tell me self control comes with age!!

As a young professional I understand and yearn for a nicely decorated home, mines lovely but I'm talking 'Grand Designs' style.  I wish I ate only organic produce sealed in the most romantic packaging, I wish all my holidays could be five star in the Caribbean and don't get me started on saving for a new X5, but the truth is all these things are within my grasp but there is something holiday me back............. My need for new clothes on a daily basis.  In the past I can remember sacrificing meals for new shoes, in my late teens at the time, I as my family did put it down to a phase but almost a decade on the phase is still in full swing.  I regularly question when self control will enter my life and as soon as I think I've found it I can usually be spotted leaving Bluewater with a good eight bags of Zara and Urban Outfitters goods, it's funny how my self control always losses itself in shopping centres!!
Since getting married and buying my house I have on many occasions planned saving schemes In hope to buy a new kitchen or afford a last minute holiday, the problem is once again the saving goes well until I am left alone in a shop!
I am not embarrassed to admit that my happiest moments are usually when I am shopping, the feel of that new fabrics makes my heart go ten to the dozen and the feeling I get as I pop a new garment in my wardrobe is unlike any other feeling I have had however even as one of Britain's biggest shopaholics I can see flaws in my spending habits!  If you take an average twenty something wage of around 25k a year then you multiply it by 10 years (the time I have been wasting cash) we are looking at an income of around 250k, granted you may be on a bit more than that or a little less but the point of it is what have you got to show for if?? With most of us currently on interest only mortgages and at a push a nine grand car it really begs the question where has it all going! I love my wardrobe and I vow never to neglect it, this economy needs people like me to succeed! But...... I can see that I really only need half of what I buy, and that's still generous, how can I satisfy both needs, my habit and my responsibility's........ My plan which is by no means tried or tested is to carry on shopping in my normal places, try on as many clothes as I do now but when I reach the till the plan is to put half of the items back,". For me some of that buzz of shopping is the process this way I still feel like a celebrity on a spree but my bags go home lighter saving that dreadful plastic bag cutting in arm look (not good) and my purse goes home a little heavier! Extra tip is pop that cash you would have spent in a separate account, or give to your mum or husband where it can stay safe for your new kitchen/sofa/honeymoon/Mulberry bag - oops I meant bathroom tiles!!
Maybe a little bit of saving can be fun!! Let's reassess in a few months time!

No comments:

Post a Comment