Tuesday 17 May 2011

My complicated love triangle

I have been married for almost three years now and try my best to be a good wife and stick with my relationship through the ups and downs, there have been days when I have wanted to walk away but there have been far fewer of them than the days I go to bed smiling.  With that said on those days where it has all been too much and I have wondered after a heated argument if it really is the end of the road I have managed not to jump into bed with another man but why is it then that I can not remain brand faithful.  My relationship with retail remains deeper than most and I guess it mirrors the stages we all go through in life:

My First Love: Tammy Girl : My first pedal pushers, my first thong, my first graphic tee.............. my first real shopping trip.  From the moment I first took a Tammy silver shopper home I knew we had a relationship I would never forget about.

The One That Got Away: French Connection:  I used to be so keen on you but somewhere along 2007 you seemed to loose your way, as a result you were never on my shopping list and although you've matured and your product has improved in recent years I know I'll never get back what I once had with you even though I wish I could.

The Boring One: GAP: You always have what I need but you never have what I want! 

The Friend With Benefits: Primark:  Beautiful dress you say for a £5 go on then it's a win win for everyone!

The One Night Stand: River Island:  I got an amazing outfit from you once, I keep looking but nothing will ever top that dress! 

The Cheater: H&M: You look great sitting in the window ,maxi dress at £6.99, I get you home and you look good but after a few wears you change completely, you are all out of shape and your seams are going, however much I think you've changed it's always the same old you.

The Bad Guy: All Saints:  You look good, you are far too much for me but I can't help myself.  I can't lie I regularly put you on on a night out just to get noticed! 

The One: Topshop:  I have 5 minutes to find an outfit...... you'll be there and you'll deliver.    I am having a fat day......... you'll be there and you'll make me feel thin again.  I need an outfit for..... work/play/a wedding/a gig......... no matter the occasion you'll have just what I am looking for.  I feel down and I know the answer is you!

With the above in mind I should be happy with 'the one' alone however this is not the case!  While I have favourites, mine being Topshop and All Saints I have real enemies too, Jane Norman and Dorothy Perkins!  With the loves and loathes aside I still can not resist all those in between and this is my shopping downfall.  If I buy from my favourites I love the garments and get maximum wear out of them but when I buy from my one night stand or the cheater I end up being cynical of how it washes or the fit of the garment.  With that in mind why can we not then stay faithful to the good old faithfuls......... because our relationship is with fashion and not a single store alone.  While I know I would never cheat on fashion I think that staying a little more brand loyal and thinking up your own love triangle or even hexagon if your struggling to try and be picky would help alleviate those mistake buys and would help you achieve a more usable wardrobe.  Give it a go start a love hexagon, it's the only time you can share the love and not get in trouble!  I am going to stay faithful to Topshop but plan to flirt with All Saints and Warehouse, I might even give River Island a booty call I'd like to say I'll avoid H&M but lets face it us girls can't avoid the cheaters!

Enjoy your cheeky affair girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment