Tuesday 5 October 2010

I only need what I want!

Defining need in shopping terms is nigh impossible, when we go on a country walk we need wellies, when we are starting a new office job we need some smart low sensible heels and yet although we know we need these items we don’t need them like we want a new pair of platform boots which admittedly have no need at all (apart from fulfilling our life).  I think it is true that when we look at need in a shopoholics terms what we are actually saying is that ‘buying essentials is an excuse to go to town’.  So when we venture into town at the end of the month on a limited budget needing new light bulbs and white sports socks what are the chances of bringing home the readies.  Inevitably we will end up with that new dress for tonight that we wanted instead of our 'need' items and as a result will walk about in rolled down black socks in the dark until pay day.  Why are we wired like this?  If you are reading this and are not a compulsive shopper you will of course opted for the sports socks and light bulbs and no doubt pocketed the change into savings and be left wondering why there is ever a need for a new dress when there are plenty in your wardrobe at home.  Let me fill you in on this, us compulsives have no control over our actions, we will stand in the cashier queue worrying how we will be able to read the paper each morning in the dark but the scent of a new purchase scrambles our brain.  I have been told in the past that this consumerist behaviour is linked to dealing with anger and sadness and will leave you regretful or depressed however my experience is quite the contrary.  The feeling I get with a new purchase (after my card has gone through without being declined) is that of elation, before I have walked out of the shop I know where my new purchase will sit in the wardrobe and what it will look best with for a night out with the girls.  What is more satisfying pleasing a need or pleasing a want?  I think it is fair to say that what is a need to one is in fact not an essential to another?  While one person can do without a new pair of platforms another will make do with a leaky tap.  So I guess what I have found in my shopping experience is that want and need are closer than we think and their true definition can only be determined by the user!
Would I change my days of living on super noodles for new super shoes?   Would I change the year I had without a TV license as I spent it on a holding payment on a new Gucci handbag?   Should I stop calling in sick on the last day of the month as I have run out of fuel and spent my last twenty pound the day before in Topshop?  More importantly would I turn the clock back and start living my life by need not want…………………….. no chance!

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I have the urge after an awful day at work or at college, an urge that eats you up inside until you have given into it. The ONLY thing that makes me happy is to spend money BUT money on me and me only! "I needed a treat" seems to be running out on the excuse-o-meter with Xavier! Oh well, girls will be girls...

    ReplyDelete