Friday 8 October 2010

Is it really too expensive?

Shopping is my favourite pastime and in the past I was too eager to buy before looking at the price tag, but as the recession has crept up on me it has started to make me consider how much I spend on an item.  Is £200 for a pair of jeans too much? Is a top at £20 reasonable?  The real question is where is the item from and how often will I wear it?  I have a price system per store, so in Topshop a reasonable priced top is £25 and a reasonable priced dress £35, anything over these prices and I do a lap of the store to decide if I will really wear the item.  Different stores have different price systems so a reasonable top in H&M is about £12.99 and a dress £24.99, its important to bear this concept in mind when shopping, I promise it'll bring an end to your unwanted bargain finds in Primark!!  More important than having store pricings is to consider the items VPW, 'Value Per Wear', this has and will continue to be my shopping guardian angel as it puts things in perspective.  A pair of new G-Star jeans at £180 may seem a bit excessive but when you consider that the average pair of jeans is worn 428 times during it's three year life in your wardrobe it actually makes those G-Star jeans a mere forty-two pence per wear!!  Give up your daily chocolate bar and your jeans are paid for, who wants a chocolate bar anyway when you have new sexy jeans!  The VPW will really help when you are raiding value retailers like Primark and H&M, when you buy a top for £15 - £20 , really consider the VPW, is the item gonna be a one time hit if so, is £20 per wear a bit much?
However if my husband reads this and asks if I have considered my VPW on my Louboutins it is important to make everyone aware that we are looking at value per wear and they hurt like hell so I remove them at least 30 times per night out so actually a total bargain, even if I do only wear them once in a blue moon!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment